Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Hairdryer Harp

All you need is an old body from a salon hairdryer, a chicken cooking grill plate, and some parts from an old chair. OK maybe some tuning pegs and guitar strings thrown in for sound.
This piece came together quite by accident. I was working on some percussive instrument and was looking for some small pieces of metal to add for visual stimulation. Most of my stimulating metal lived in what is now the body of the Hairdryer Harp. As I was rooting through my collection of metal bits it came to me like a thief in the night. Well not really, but it sounds better that way. I always have a few extra cooking plates lying around for just such
a moment. So when the idea of building a harp from a hairdryer came into my head I knew just where to go. I dumped out the shinny metal bits on the floor, where they still lay. The chair parts were lost a few months ago under our too small to be comfortable couch. The grill plates are scattered throughout our apartment, and the machine heads and strings are at Steve’s Music downtown. It’s that easy. I think I might put the fan blower back in just in case I need to do something with my hair.

No comments: