Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Acoustic Suck


There’s nothing like taking some bodies old vacuum apart and turning it into a musical instrument. Saying that I don’t want you to get the wrong idea and think that this is a glamorous lifestyle. Taking another persons vacuum apart is kind of disgusting, all the little particles of there dead flesh being cakes in there for years. It’s time to move on, and get over the dead flesh.
Anyway, one of the regulars that would come into a bar I worked at the time, brought in this lovely old vacuum for me one night with the intentions of me making an instrument out of it. I looked at it and looked at it for the longest time, when finally it came to me. When was the last time you saw a Koto made from a vacuum cleaner. I bet it’s been quite some time. So off I went. It didn’t really take that much to get it set up dead flesh aside. The biggest problem was cutting the sound holes. That was more time consuming that anything. The post are whip it canisters from Mitzi’s Café (they collect them for me)
And the tuning pegs are just eye screws. All in all it was a relatively simple instrument to build, though I don’t think I will be making another.

No comments: