Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Bowed Web of Tacky Instruments

This is by far the ugliest of all the instruments I have built, and for some reason that makes me love it all the more. It was suppose to be a simple hand drum in the beginning. Sometimes these things have a life of there own, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

So I guess it's kind of like a cross between a cello and a banjo made from a snare drum. It'’s not as scary as it sounds. There are only two frets on the instrument, but they sit about three inches off the neck. There are three bowed strings, two drone strings, and one sympathetic string. I have no idea why that their, aside from the fact that I had one tuning peg without a string. That'’s good enough of a reason for me. The swirls are from one my metal dresses that was mostly destroyed in a fire. I'm glad this little bit found itself a new home.

Even if that home is really freaking ugly.

No comments: