Saturday, November 04, 2006

The Spy vs. Spy Sitar




So this really isn’t a Sitar at all, nor was it meant to be. This was one of those instruments that took a very long time to figure out what it wanted to be. I was kind of just flying by the seat of my pants on this one. Oh wait, that’s how I build all of these things.

The Sitar part of the name came from the nice droning buzz sound I get out of it. I think it has a lot to do with the bridge I used. It was a curved piece of ceramic tile from a kitchen I worked on last week.

The Spy vs. Spy part of the name came from Jen. Sometimes Jen is crazy, but this time she was crazy. That makes no sense, and that’s how I like it. Mind you ever since she said that all I can see is Spy vs. Spy. It reminds me of the first time somebody told me the Jimi Hendricks line was “excuse me, while I kiss this guy” The song has never been the same.

The instrument was constructed out of knotty pine (I do like Knotty Pine) from the family run hardware store down the street. The face of the body was from a demolished basement, and it is in fact real fake wood paneling from the Seventies. Finally the back of the instrument is another of those lovely salad bowls.

The fret board was set up as a “Classical long” From Stewart-MacDonald web site. He has a great fret calculator on there that I use for most of my fretted instruments

http://www.stewmac.com/

My Oblique Strategy for the Spy vs. Spy Sitar was Overtly resist change



Here are some comments that were left for this instrument.

Anonymous said...

yer comin' awful close to dissin' the Jen there, better watch it or she'll kick yer butt.

Shouldn't it be 'naughty pine'?


No comments: